Subject: 3DStudio Max
From: Ace Miles <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 11:16:23 -0800

I can't believe so many people are impressed with Max (particularly people
who have used LW).

I'm assuming most of these people have only seen a demo performed by an
Autodesk "HYPErnaut". It does have a couple of features that I wish the
CURRENT version of LW had. Of course the current version of 3ds doesn't have
them either.
I think after the cloud of hype clears you'll see that Max has too much of
3ds' short comings to be a great program.

It comes with the same old renderer. I know, I know, you can use a plugin
render engine $$$. Allen mentioned this about LW but I personally like LW's
just fine.

Your still stuck with tri-polys. No quads even. Double the poly count, like
it or not.

Still no total control of point manipulation. Can you say "set value"?

$$$ It's still expensive and so are it's plugins. Some plugins are going to
cost more than LW itself. $$$

Of course this was just my 2 cents worth (I use LW) 
If I used Max it would have been my 2 dollars worth

-Ace
Ace Miles * Senior Animator * Time Warner Interactive
   [email-masked] (work)  or   [email-masked] (home)

My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer.